Visitors In Real Time14 May 2013
Visitors in Real Time can give you an overview of viewing your website as and when they visit. At the top, it gives an overview of what has happened in the last 24 hours and the last 30 minutes.
This is useful to give you an immediate snapshot of the state of traffic for your website.
The information below this goes into more detail about each visit individually. Each comes with quite a lot of information.
The top section gives information about:
- The date and time that the visit happened (Tue 14 May – 12:12:36)
- The length of time that the user was on the website (30 min 13s)
- The country of origin of the visit ()
- The type of browser they are using()
- The operating system they are using ()
- The IP address used to access the site (126.96.36.199)
The information below this shows how the user came to the website originally. Generally this will come up with one of four values
- The address of a website – this means that the user has clicked a link from a website which has linked to your site and the user has clicked on that link
- “Direct Entry” – the user has accessed the website by typing in the address of the site directly into their browser. You can see where exactly what page they came from
- You may also find a link from Google (or other search engine) showing the term that was used to search which resulted in your website being found.
- The last possibility is a link from Google (or other search engine) and the entry “Keyword Not Defined”. This is where it was not possible to tell exactly what query was run by Google. Sometimes, search engines will hide what the search engines was used to search for privacy reasons.
You will then see how the user has travelled around the website.
The colours do not mean anything but serve to make it easier on the eye! By hovering over the individual pages (), you will see a tool-tip detailing what page the user visited, when and for how long.
Clicking the pages will take you to the page that the user visited.
You can tell who has left your website with the symbol. The tool-tip will detail the location of where the user went.